Updated: April 25, 2022 - 3:16pm
Billionaire Elon Musk reached a deal Monday to purchase social media giant Twitter for a sum of $44 billion.
"Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated," Musk said, per Reuters.
Twitter has been mired in accusations of censorship for years, earning particular scorn from conservatives for banning for President Donald Trump from the platform. MORE
Is DeSantis going to be the one who finally breaks Twitter?
Former Obama era intelligence officials, those who helped construct, organize and assemble the public-private partnership between intelligence data networks and supported social media companies, have written a letter to congress warning that any effort to break up Big Tech (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google, Microsoft, etc.) would be catastrophic for the national security system they have created.
The Conservative Treehouse has already asserted quite credibly that Twitter may be a front for or partner with U.S. Intel. According to him, Twitter is a money hole that requires a huge platform to function:
"Twitter is not a platform built around a website; Twitter is a platform for comments and discussion that operates in the sphere of social media. As a consequence, the technology and data processing required to operate the platform does not have an economy of scale. There is no business model where Twitter is financially viable to operate…. UNLESS the tech architecture under the platform was subsidized.
In my opinion, there is only one technological system and entity that could possibly underwrite the cost of Twitter to operate. That entity is the United States Government." (link)
DeSantis & Musk have become partners in the Twitter takeover. DeSantis announced he’s looking into actions he can take against Twitter's board of directors for attempts to block Musk from buying Twitter, as Florida is an investor in the platform through the state's pension fund. Twitter may be ground zero for political social media, but the company has always struggled financially.
Why would any competent board of directors try to literally poison pill an ailing company from realizing greater profits or increasing capital gains for its shareholders?
The New York Post (link) reports on DeSantis' answer:
- “They rejected it because they know they can’t control Elon Musk, they know that he will not accept the narrative, and that their little play toy of Twitter would not be used to enforce orthodoxy and to basically prop up the regime and these failed legacy media outlets.”
"If you notice, the people that are most hostile to Musk are people from the legacy media outlets like the Washington Post and CNN... Nobody trusts these people anymore." - Gov. Ron DeSantis
Unchecked Censorship Isolates People.
Whenever a self-anointed elite sets up a Ministry of Truth, the link between censorship and disinformation becomes clear. Before long, they invent reality and punish anyone who expresses a different viewpoint. One of the most telling incidents of censorship over the past year was Twitter’s take-down of virologist and vaccine inventor Dr. Robert Malone, claiming he was “spreading misinformation”—i.e., spreading a second opinion—about Covid vaccines and treatments. Open discussion of such things would erode the illusions big media and big tech so doggedly prop up.
- Dr. Malone explained how a propaganda-saturated population can end up in a state of mass hypnosis that renders people incapable of seeing reality. He described how social isolation, a high level of discontent, and a strong sense of free-floating anxiety are keys to the development of this psychosis. The anxiety is so painful that it causes people to cling, trancelike, to any narrative that seems to offer stability. Once all other views are censored, people become so invested in the narrative that they cannot consider any alternative views. They will even mob anyone who endangers the narrative.
During a recent monologue, Fox News host Tucker Carlson called Elon Musk’s attempt to takeover Twitter “the single most important development for free speech in the modern history of the United States.”
Elon Musk: “Twitter has become the de facto town square, so it’s important that people have both the reality and perception that they’re able to speak freely ...
Having tweets being mysteriously promoted or demoted with no insight into what’s going on, having a black vault algorithm promote some things and not other things — I think this can be quite dangerous ...
One of the things I think Twitter should do is open-source the algorithm to show how the social media platform amplifies or censors content."
- Twitter misuses its vast power to amplify the Left and suppress the political right.
- Twitter has misused its reach to wield political power and to demonize those who have different ideas.
- Twitter is overwhelmingly cozy with Democrat political players. Former Obama Administration officials have embedded themselves like ticks throughout Silicon Valley.
Elon Musk is a visionary, an immigrant to America who has built his fortune on relentless work and an ardent belief in first principles. But conservatives should not depend on Elon Musk to fight for free speech for them. He’s not your savior. More